School is starting and it is time to get back to a routine and regular schedules. For a lot of us we are feeling the need to get back to a regular and possibly a healthier eating pattern as well. If you are feeling sluggish, bloated, and your digestive system is off try this simple home remedy as a little kick start!
I ran across this information a while back and was reminded about the benefits of drinking warm lemon water. I have to admit I had forgotten about this natural home remedy! Too often, I think we go out and purchase the latest product being marketed as healthy. Or products promising to help us with whatever we struggle with. And yet it is amazing what resources we might already have in our own kitchen.
A glass of lemon water is a rich source of nutrients like calcium, potassium, vitamin C, and pectin fiber. It has antibacterial properties as well. Lemons are popular for their therapeutic properties. They help with your immune system and can help you fight various infections. Read on for more interesting information and benefits on drinking warm lemon water. I think you are about to be amazed!!
16 Benefits of Drinking Warm Lemon Water
1. One of the major benefits to drinking this is it paves the way for losing weight faster, thus acting as a great weight loss remedy (I bet I have your attention now,
2. Lemons contain pectin fiber which is beneficial for colon health. It also serves as a powerful antibacterial.
3. It balances to maintain the ph levels in the body
4. It helps flush out toxins. Having it early in the morning is especially beneficial for this.
5. It aids in the digestion and encourages the production of bile (Bile is a fluid released by the liver. It helps to break down fats into fatty acids for the body to use).
6. It helps reducing pain and inflammation in joints and knees as is dissolves uric acid.
7. It is a fabulous antiseptic and lime water juice also works wonders for people having heart problems, due to its high potassium amount.
8. It helps cure the common cold. You might want to give this remedy a try if you struggle with repeated colds! 🙂
9. The potassium in lemons help to nourish brain and nerve cells
10. It is wonderful for our skin. It prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne. And helps in rejuvenating skin from within, bringing a warm glow to your face.
11. It helps maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems
12. It can help balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver. In case of a heartburn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief.
13. It helps prevent the growth of pathogenic bacteria that can cause infections and disease.
14. It aids in the production of digestive juices. Thus it aids in the digestive system and makes eliminating waste easier. It can help with problems of constipation and diarrhea by ensuring you have smooth bowel functions. (On a side note: the most popular over the counter medicines sold are digestive aids — even more than pain medicines).
15. It plays a role in purifying your blood.
16. And lemon juice can help replenish body salts especially after a strenuous workout.
Isn’t this mind boggling? This drink is packed with goodness for your body. To make warm lemon water all you need is lukewarm water and a lemon. You do not need to have boiling water, just warm water around room temperature or a little warmer. For a person around 150 pounds, squeeze about a half a lemon in a glass of water. A larger person can squeeze a whole lemon into a glass of water to get the benefits of this drink. Personally, I think you should experiment a bit with what amount of lemon you want to put in your water. Depending on individual needs, you may want to dilute it more or have it stronger. The optimal time to drink this is early in the morning. But, if you are already waking up at the crack of dawn and hurrying to get out the door — find another time to sip this drink and enjoy it’s benefits. Remember to find a way to make it work for you!
As I write this blog, I am sipping on warm lemon water. I have decided to make this a part of my day at some point during the day. Maybe you will see me with glowing wrinkle free skin in the gym!! If you take prescriptive medications I would suggest talking with your physician before drinking this to make sure it doesn’t adversely affect your medications.
Here is to the change of seasons, schedules, and warm lemon water!!
Beth Dean CPT, CES, pn1
PS — An important note is when lemon juice comes directly in contact with the teeth, it can be hard on your enamel. Always drink lemon juice with water — dilute it. And you should rinse your mouth out after drinking lemon juice.
My source for this blog was Food Matters